Thursday

seven hundred and thirty days of sunshine

Exactly two years ago right now, we were already lost in conversation.

I don't want to make this any more philosophical than it has to be, Puji-la. The significance of that innocent direct message is, anyway, immeasurable. It didn't ask for a thing. But it begged to be answered. I knew that much. I swear to God I knew that the second I read it.

You came into my life when nothing seemed to be working. And nothing was working out because I had closed myself off to the possibility of things working out. I didn't want them to work out in their present form. In many ways I had turned my back on love. It's not that I didn't believe in it anymore. It's just that like everything else in this life, it had slowly worn me down. Its strings had dragged and ground me to a halt instead of setting me free. So the last thing I was looking for was more.

I ended up watching those elections, alone, because that's the way it had to be. The same way you couldn't have been anywhere other than in that deserted newsroom on the graveyard shift. That conversation was in the cards. That's why the timing worked out. That's why everything worked out.

That night, I fell in love with the idea of you and you of me. Same to same. I fell in love with your company. Your warmth. Your hopes and dreams. And with your words.

Every day since then you have become more and more real to me. These two years have become a beautiful eternity as time continues to slowly fill in the blanks. Some days I even feel I know you better than you know yourself. Other days you surprise me. But mostly you just make me smile. Even though everything still is what it is, I smile. I smile because you smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment